In HubSpot, "Properties" are a labeled entry space on a contact, company, deal, or ticket used to store information. You can create customized properties to store and sort any kind of data that is unique to your business's processes.
Hubspot accounts include default properties to store basic information about your contacts, companies, deals, and tickets. Some examples of default properties include a contact's first and last name, phone number, and associated company. However, you may need additional properties to gather information for your business's marketing, sales, and service processes. You can have up to 1,000 properties per record, including the default properties provided by HubSpot.
To create a new custom property:
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon settings in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Properties.
- Click the tab of the object type to create the property for.
- In the upper right, click Create a property.
- In the right panel, set up your property:
- Label: a brief description of the property that will appear internally on records. The label will also be the external default form field label for the property when used as a field on a HubSpot form.
- Internal name: the API identifier for the property. This is unique and not editable once the property is created. It's automatically determined based on the original label that you set for a contact property.
- Description: a short explanation of the property for internal use only.
- Group: your properties are all stored in groups so that you can keep them organized.
- Field type: use the dropdown bar to select a field type or your property based on the type of information you'll be gathering. You can choose from Single Checkbox, Multiple Checkboxes, Date Picker, File, Number, Radio Select, Dropdown Select, Single-line Text, Multi-line Text, Calculation (Enterprise Hub only), Score (Professional and Enterprise Hub only), or Hubspot User. If you choose field type that requires users to choose from multiple preset options, you will be prompted to create these options. You can create, edit, or delete these options at a later time if needed.
If you decide at a later time that a different field type is a better fit for your data, most field types can be converted into an alternate type. Note: Once a Score, Calculated, or Date property is created, its field type cannot be edited.
- Show in forms: this is enabled by default. Clear the Show in forms box if you don't want the property to be available for use in forms, pop-up forms, and bots.
- Add to search (Enterprise Hub only): if you are creating a single-line text, multi-line text, or number property and you want users to be able to search based on values for this property, select the Add to search checkbox.
- Click Create.